Since 2013, the Egyptian regime has waged an unprecedented campaign of repression against the Egyptian opposition and civil society. Tens of thousands of people have been arrested, often on the most spurious of grounds, and many have been brought before ‘exceptional courts formed specifically to persecute dissent.
The huge increase in the number of political prisoners, and the typically dreadful conditions of their detention – including a policy of systematic medical neglect – have transformed prisons into graveyards: more than 900 prisoners have died due to medical negligence or under torture since al-Sisi’s coup n 3 July 2013.
Whilst the suffering of Egyptian detainees continues, the most powerful nations globally continue to provide support to the regime, including cooperation at the diplomatic, security, and military levels, all of which give a green light to its abuses.
And, despite the overwhelming case made by Egyptian and global civil society that any country claiming to respect human rights ought to suspend relations with Egypt, the leaders of over 120 countries have pledged to participate in the UN’s COP27 event, held this year between 6-18 November in Egypt’s Sharm El-Sheikh.
In this context, Arab Organisation for Human Rights in the UK (AOHR UK) invites you to participate in a webinar, in order to shed further light on the human rights situation and the inhumane conditions of detention in Egypt, and in particular on those of prisoners of conscience and political detainees, and to discuss possible ways to put an end to such violations.
- Jim Moran – Former Democratic member of the US House of Representatives
- Kaied Omar Ghiyatha– Member of UK Labour Party
- Sara Flounders– American political writer and a member of the Secretariat of Workers World Party
- Essam Heggy– Egyptian space scientist
- Moustafa Shahin – Professor in the Business department at Oakland Community College
- Maha Azzam – Chair of Egyptians for Democracy
- Mohamed Ismail – Co-Founder of Egypt’s hope Party
- Iyad Afalqa – President Emeritus of California Democratic Council
Date and Time:
Thursday 10th November 2022 | 17:00 London Timing
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 862 2324 4508