A Palestinian child has died, after being shot one week ago by Israeli army forces whilst participating in a protest near the Gaza-Israel border.
According to a brief statement bt the Palestinian Ministry of Health, Hassan Abu al-Nil,12 years-old, died on Saturday (28 August) after being shot by the occupying army whilst participating in a peaceful march, Saturday 21 August, near the Gazan border.
With al-Nil’s passing the death toll of the march climbed to two, in addition to 40 wounded, including 21 children.
Palestinian groups organised the protest on the eastern border of Gaza City to commemorate the 52nd anniversary of the burning of al-Aqsa Mosque. The march was targeted by the occupying army with tear gas, rubber-coated rounds, and live fire.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) had confirmed that the Israeli occupation forces have killed nine Palestinian children between 7 May and 31 July this year.
In a report published last week, UNICEF said that over the same period Israeli forces have injured 556 children with live ammunition and rubber bullets, and arrested at least 170 Palestinian children in occupied East Jerusalem, or al-Quds.
During the war on the Gaza Strip earlier this year, the occupying force targeted 116 private primary schools. 140 public school buildings and 41 UNRWA schools were damaged, UNICEF reported.
Arab Organisation for Human Rights in the UK (AOHR UK) has continously condemned the increasingly brutal tactics used against the Palestinians. It has called on the international community to take practical steps towards stopping the occupation forces’ and settlers’ crimes against Palestinians, and against children in particular.
AOHR UK has said that silence in the face of such crimes is unacceptable, and that the occupying power’s normal relations with the international community leaves Israel totally unaccountable.