Security forces shot and killed a protester during rallies against last year’s military coup, medics said.
The protester was identified as Mohamed Kamel Ibrahim, the independent Central Committee of Sudan Doctors clarified.
The new victim brings to 118 the death toll of protesters killed since the October 25 coup led by General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.
The military takeover triggered wide international condemnation and derailed a fragile transition to civilian rule.
Protesters – sometimes numbering in the tens of thousands – have regularly taken to the streets despite a deadly security clampdown and periodic cuts to communications since the coup.
In this regard, the United Nations expressed on Thursday “grave concern about the continued use of excessive force and live ammunition by the government security forces in Sudan against demonstrators.”
“We’re very, very much gravely concerned by the continued use of excessive force by the government security forces in Sudan as they respond to protests and especially what we’ve seen today,” UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in New York.
“It is imperative that people be allowed to express themselves freely and peacefully, and security forces in any country should be there to protect people’s right to do that, not to hinder it,” he said.
The way forward is for all the parties to reach an inclusive political solution as soon as possible, leading to a return to constitutional order and democratic transitions, he added.