On Monday (29 March), more than 270 Israeli settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque, in Occupied East Jerusalem, or Al-Quds.
Settlers entered the mosque site via Al-Mughrabi gate, and performed a religious ceremony under heavy protection from occupation forces.
The Jerusalem Islamic Waqf, in a short statement, said that “274 settlers stormed the mosque this morning”. The foundation expects further interruptions this afternoon, it said.
Occupation police continue to restrict the number of worshippers entering the mosque, holding personal identification papers at entrances.
The extremist Temple Institute has intensified its call for a mass storming of the mosque this Passover. “This year, we look forward to making our animal sacrifices in Al-Aqsa Mosque”, the group has said, claiming that this will “form a gateway of salvation for Jews and the whole world from coronavirus”.
This morning, occupation forces tightened security measures in Jerusalem’s Old Town, so as to protect those storming the mosque’s vicinity.
Further military checkpoints were established, and vehicles’ and residents’ access restricted.
The mosque has seen several incursions over the last period. Last week, more than 400 settlers stormed its vicinity.
Occupying forces have tended to protect these incursions. The apparent aim is to geographically divide the Al-Aqsa Mosque.
Incursions have occurred during both the mornings and afternoons, including on Fridays, the Islamic day of rest. Religious holidays, both Jewish and Muslim, have been targeted.
The Israeli occupation of Al-Quds has continued since 1967, via routine incursions by military forces and settlers.